Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Day 1 - Houston to Arkadelphia, AR

370 Miles




One of the constants on my motorcycle trips is problems with my satellite radio. The usual problem is intermittent power to the radio because of the constant vibration of the connector. Over time it has worn to the point the connection doesn’t work well. The fix has been to bend the connector, or contort it, such that it makes a circuit. This works anywhere from six weeks to six minutes, depending on where the stars and moon are aligned in RCA heaven.
Determined to fix the problem for a little longer than usual, I bought a solder connector to replace the current one. Since I don’t have a solder gun (and don’t want one) I stopped off at Mobile One in the Woodlands yesterday and the guy there was kind enough to replace the connector. The radio fired up immediately so I cranked up and went home (without listening to the radio). This morning when leaving I determined he had wired it up to the accessory circuit and the radio wouldn’t work with the key in the “on” position. Oops. It’s always in the “on” position when the bike is running. This smacks of a problem. So my trip was delayed slightly while I stopped back in and he re-wired it so it would work in both key positions.
I offered to pay for the service on both occasions, but he refused, saying that it just took a few minutes. I did give him some money to buy a beer for the crew yesterday. But I really appreciate businesses that understand such service pays great dividends in the future. Anyone want a radio and good service in the Woodlands, I highly recommend these guys.
This stop meant I didn’t get “on the road” until about 9:40 a.m. from the Woodlands. I took SR242 off I-45 connecting to US59N just south of Splendora (talk about your pretentiously named towns…it ain’t). I stayed on US59 all the way to Texarkana, jumping on I-30E to Arkadelphia, Arkansas.




I stopped for lunch in Lufkin at the Cotton Patch Restaurant. Excellent lunch of chicken and dumplings. Good county food and plenty of it. I highly recommend this place.









Since I passed by Hope, Arkansas on my way to Arkadelphia I stopped for gas and couldn't resist taking the following photos for my conservative friends.  (Someone clean up Rita’s breakfast)









It sprinkled off and on during the day but only got a little heavy between Hope and Arkadelphia. (I had “hoped” it wouldn’t…but it did.) This meant I was donning my riding coat off and on all day. A little boring, but when the road’s wet I wear the armor. The theory is if you go down the first layer of skin needs to belong to someone else.

Tomorrow Hot Springs and north.

2 comments:

Fleeter said...

Someone needs to clean up after me...because I was aready picturing Rita "going off" when I read your comment about her breakfast!

tmiller said...

That was mighty kind of you Jerry. Well I must say, after seeing this picture I had visions of many other signs I have seen along the roadway though. The ones with the deer on them and peep holes so you can see past them...if you know what I mean. I think I will plan a little jog time when Rita reads your update though. Happy trails just the same.